Sunday, September 28, 2003

still adjusting

with each new post, i push another uzbekistan post into the archives. it just seems to be hitting me over the head with the fact that my trip is fading into the past. i keep resisting the urge to add more posts about my trip. on a vacation like that virtually every moment is some weird wonderful unique experience, so there is plenty that went unmentioned here.

when i started this blog, i really wasn't sure what i would do with it. the blogs i read (and still read) vaguely fell into two categories, political blogs (like atrios, to name one example) and on-line diary type blogs (like sarah's). i wasn't sure which direction i would go. over time, i have decided that this blog will just be my forum for venting about whatever is going on in my mind at the time of my post. i am a very political person, so often it will be political rants, but not always. at times, things have come up in my life that have brought up memories of prior trips and stories from those travels have crept into my writing here (like this post), but i do not want to dwell endlessly on the two weeks a year that i am not in the country. the other 50 weeks are noteworthy too. when i first get back i have to force myself to look ahead, not just behind. its part of the adjustment to being back.

at some point in the future, i am sure that something will remind me of an anecdote from my travels in uzbekistan and that will trigger an uzbek-related post here. but i am going to try to give it a rest for now.