Saturday, August 19, 2006

monato

this has happened several times now. i get an email from someone who says that they liked an image i posted on flickr and requests permission to use the photo in a book or magazine. so far, the inquiries have all been about my mali or uzbekistan photos. my answer is always the same, of course they can use the image so long as they give me credit and send me a copy of the book, magazine, or whatever. even though i've gotten these kind of inquiries 4 to 5 times now, one time a book publisher even emailed me a contract (which i edited, signed, and faxed back, noting my edits on the cover sheet), each time the communication ends with assurances via email that i will get something in the mail and then nothing comes.

until today. sitting in the pile of mail that was waiting for me and mrs. noz is a copy of the august/september 2006 issue of monato. the cover photo of samarkand is mine (the cover is pictured on the upper left side of the monato page), as are two photos inside the magazine. sure the magazine is in esperanto, a language i can't read, but i can at least read my name in the photo credits.

anyway, it's not that big a deal, but it was a nice homecoming present. also this gives me a nice opportunity to brag, link to some of my prior holiday photos and make some kind of vague promise that a new batch from my recent trip is on the way.