Friday, March 27, 2009

PFF/cinefest

the philadelphia film festival/cinefest kicked off last night. i'm going to my first film later today. which means that for the next ten days or so i'll be mostly writing about films you've probably never heard of. just a friendly warning.

meanwhile, a PFF/cinefest link has appeared under the "fun" category to the right. feel free to look over the list of films and leave your recommendation in the comments. (and thanks for the recommendations from my prior post) i don't buy most of my tickets in advance or make a comprehensive schedule. instead, i circle the films that i have an interest in seeing, making little notations and pluses for things that give the film a little more preference (a director i know, arabic language, a recommendation, etc). then i carry the schedule around with me. when i have time to see a film, i see what's playing and decide which ones to go to on the fly. sellouts just make my scattershot approach a little more fun!

anyway, if any of you are going to any, i do give a preference to screenings where i might see some friends. ciarĂ¡n has already emailed me his schedule, glom has posted hers, and simon gave me a list of titles he's going to see (but not which screening). if you want to try to meet me during the fest, let me know what you're interested in seeing. at this point the only one i know i will be at is the april 3rd screening of tulpan. these days, i basically have to see any kazakhstani film.

and if you want to know which films in my every shifting cloud of possibility i am leaning towards seeing, email me. i can usually throw together a list of either-ors for any given day. if you have a strong preference either way, it might influence the one i choose.