Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Why don't more developing countries go waive the visa requirements for tourist from developed countries?

I don't understand why countries like Kazakhstan don't make travel from all richer countries visa free. Why just extend visa-free travel to EU members? Why not make it easier for tourists from the U.S., Canada, Japan, South Korea, etc? If the Kazakhstanis are afraid of foreigners coming distort their job market, they can limit the visa-waivers to short-term tourism-related stays (which is what the U.S. does), but I don't think they are particularly worried about Americans coming to Kazakhstan to take jobs from their nationals. That concern is reserved for Uzbekistanis and Kyrgyzstanis, who ironically do not need a visa to enter Kazakhstan.

(I realize I am biased from my experience. The fact that our visas expired every 3-6 months during our year in Kazakhstan was a major pain in the ass for both Mrs. Noz and I during our Kazakhstan year. See e.g. these posts from those days of yore.)