Sunday, December 01, 2013

Cut it out

Can we stop talking about the presidential campaigns of people who have never expressed an interest in being President? It always annoys me when I see that happening. Someone says, "hey, wouldn't it be great if X ran for president" and then suddenly that person is listed as a possible contender in every subsequent article about the race. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that most people do not want to be President (it doesn't seem like a very appealing job to me). But the political press just assumes that is what everyone wants to do even though it comes with some pretty major downsides, like the complete loss of any ability to ever lead a normal life.

It happens all the time, but lately the one I keep noticing is Elizabeth Warren. Sure I would probably support her if she did run. But has she ever expressed even the slightest interest in the job? Why not assume that she is out of the running until she says something or does something (like go to Iowa for no apparent other reason) to indicate that this is something she wants to do? I could have missed it, but I have not seen any reason to believe that Warren might do it. So leave her alone ferchristssake.

Being President is important but it also sucks. And frankly, I don't want a President who isn't interested in the job.