Thursday, March 27, 2014

Facebook eats Oculus

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see what the big deal is about Facebook's acquisition of Oculus. Admittedly, I never heard of Oculus before all the hubbub. But my impression was that virtual reality was a sci-fi concept that became a tech fad in the 1990s. At one point around 1994, I put on a bulky VR headset and virtually walked around some virtual platforms while a virtual pteranodon swooped above me in the virtual sky--it actually was a lot less exciting than it sounds. VR was really hyped in those days as the NEXT BIG THING, along with the world wide web. The web took off and VR silently faded away--mostly because it just wasn't that good yet.

Twenty years later, I'm they could do a better job with VR. I just didn't realize that anyone was excited about any VR development yet. Because my hopes were never raised, they can't be dashed by the news of the FB acquisition. But even if I did get what Oculus was on to, that wouldn't fully explain the reaction I'm seeing. If the technology is there, we will see VR. That will be the case whether or not this particular company is swallowed by the FB Borg.

If anyone thinks I'm missing the point somehow, please explain in the comments.

UPDATE: Out of curiosity, I googled around and found a video about that 1990s VR game I played. It was apparently called Dactyl Nightmare."