Friday, April 04, 2014

As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Always google alleged quotes from famous people before you put them in your book"

It's not like I expected Allen West's book to be rigorously fact checked. But if I were West, I would have at least googled my famous quotes to be sure they were accurate. (A quick google would have gotten West here, for example. The National Review! That's a source that even Allen might believe)

I thought everyone knew by now that quite a lot of famous quotes were not actually said by the person they are attributed to. There have been so many debunking of these things, I have come to expect that any saying by a famous person to be inaccurate unless proven otherwise. From what I know about Allen West, I don't think he cares much about accuracy. But I would at least think he would want to avoid the embarrassment that comes when people point out easily correctable inaccuracies in his book.

(via Memeorandum)