Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chocolution 20: Medécasse, 70% Cacoa

Another example of a minimalist approach. The bar is made from just a handful of ingredients (cocoa beans, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, and vanilla), with no artificial blah blah blah. I guess the bragging I see on these wrappers about fair trade, sustainability, the purity of their process and ingredients is starting to all sound the same to me and lose its impact. Not that I think any of that stuff isn't good. It's just that it's pretty clear that those kind of things are common and even--dare I say it--trendy in the world of high priced chocolate bars.

Needless to say, the chocolate itself is quite tasty. This one has a strong bitter lead that is followed by a nice rich cocoa flavor. Also I liked how outer wrapper is closed with a tied tassle that appears to be made with some kind of dried stalk or leaf. (See the top of the picture) Sure, it's another gimmic, but at least I haven't seen that one before.