Monday, June 16, 2014

Chocolution 24: Fearless, Deepest Dark


Wow, superchocolate! (/BarneyGumble)

Actually, this one was really good. I thought it was a cheat, because I'm trying to restrict my sampling to chocolate bars without extra flavors added and this one said it contained sea salt (I've already established that nibs don't count as an additive because they are another form of chocolate). But there was no sea salt taste. Instead the salt probably worked to deepen the chocolate flavor, which may be why I liked it so much. So I hereby rule: no cheat! This also demonstrates the shortcomings of the "pure chocolate bar" movement. I understand the urge to make a bar that is just sugar and cocao, but sometimes that other stuff does make the bar taste better. This is one of my favorites so far.

But wait, there's more! Check out the gimmick:

The bar has a pre-made bite taken out of it. (I didn't notice it before I opened the package, but the outer packaging does show the bite on the upper right corner, see above photo)


And then there's the description on the inner packaging:


So, in other words, you get less chocolate so that they can donate to some do-gooder cause. Frankly, I would rather they gave us more chocolate and then just charged more for the bar.