Sunday, August 10, 2014

I guess we are the Pesh Murga's Air Force now

I would be nice if a President could try to set out some clear goals of a military operation when he announces one. I mean, Obama says "This is going to be a long-term project" but what exactly is the project and how will bombing Iraq accomplish that?

I don't get it. I don't get why a politician would want to get involved in a military campaign for ill-defined goals that will make it virtually impossible to ever be deemed a "win." I don't get why the opposing party doesn't make hay about how badly defined the goals of these operations are (instead of demanding that the badly defined mission get even bigger). I don't get why the pundit class and bobbleheads on teevee never bother to question the lack of clear goals. Why are the most basic practical questions be asked before another military adventure so completely absent from our political discourse?

I also find Clinton's endorsement of the "do stupid shit" approach to foreign policy to be completely depressing.