Monday, August 18, 2014

I hate it when non-sci-fi people write about sci-fi

Vox should really distinguish better between science fiction films and books in this piece. I mean, it starts with film, but then slides into the written world of sci-fi when it talks about the genre's history, without noting that the book world is pretty different than the action-movie dominated sci-fi film world. My impression is that sci-fi books have made a lot more progress on the diversity front than movies have--both in terms of their creators and their characters. To the best of my knowledge, there is no film version of the Carl Brandon or Tiptree awards. While awards are not everything, they do reflect a conscious effort to diversify the creators and subject matter of sci-fi literature which I don't think the movie and TV people have bothered much with.