Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Cuba

For my entire life, normalizing relations with Cuba has been something that was both an obviously right thing to do and something that would nevertheless never be done because it would be too politically toxic. But recently I have wondered if it really is as toxic as everyone seemed to believe. Does anyone other than the older generation of the Cuban exile community (and their stooges in Congress of course) really care about this anymore?

I guess we will find out soon.

On a personal note,I have probably missed my chance to ever visit the bizarro-isolated version of Cuba, where, I am told, the landscape is remarkably, and almost uniquely advertisement free. Or at least that is how someone who went on an illegal visit a decade ago described it to me. If normalization actually happens, Cuba will probably look like its neighbors in just a few years.