Friday, September 02, 2016

Ding dong, officially

On Wednesday, I noted it had been two days since opposition sources had reported that President Karimov of Uzbekistan had died and I wondered how long the official news sources could ignore the story.

They announced Karimov's death today (a few hours after the Turks did) so the answer to my question is five days. To be clear: I have no idea if he died at the beginning of the week when opposition sources reported it, or if the opposition got it wrong and he was just dying all week until finally passing today. But it is still weird that the official media of the country could wait until this death announcement to even comment.

And I guess this ends the Islam Karimov death watch series on this blog. I'm still kinda hoping his successor is Karimov's dentist.