Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Was Colbert homophobic?

Stephen Colbert's Monday night monologue has generated a #fireColbert campaign. It was pretty disrespectful to the President (which, frankly, I have no problem with. The guy hasn't done anything to earn my respect). So I understand why people who like Trump or who believe he automatically deserves immunity from mockery just by barely winning the electoral college are offended by it. But some are also claiming that Colbert was homophobic, presumably because his monologue included this line:
"the only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s cock holster"
Does anyone else think it is? I mean, is the joke the idea that Trump having sex with Putin, or is it the idea that Trump is having gay sex with Putin? I honestly think it is more of the former. If you don't think there is anything inherently wrong with gay sex, but do think there is something wrong with the U.S. President sexually pleasuring the Russian President, the joke works fine on that level. What makes it funny is the idea that the sexual relationship is wrong because of the positions each person holds, not because they both happen to be male.

On the other hand, I could see it going the other way. Putin himself is notoriously anti-gay, and I bet that Trump himself would find the joke more offensive because it paints a picture of a sexual act with a man rather than a woman. If those are the buttons the joke was intended to push, then I can see it as homophobic.

(via Memeorandum)