Friday, October 27, 2017

Why withhold anything?

I don't understand how there could be any legitimate national security concerns over anything in the Kennedy assassination files. The assassination happened 54 years ago.

Are there any intelligence sources from that investigation that aren't already dead? Are there any methods of gathering intelligence that could be revealed by the documents that either haven't already been revealed, or are no longer used because of technological changes over the past half-century? Is any ally going to be bothered if they learn that the U.S. did something against their interest that long ago? Will any enemy be provoked because of something that happened in the 1960s?

I can't say I know a whole lot about the world of spying etc, but I simply can't imagine a scenario in which there would be good reason to withheld from the public any document from that long ago. The U.S. is a very different place now than it was then, and so is the world.

(Actually I don't care all that much about whatever these documents say about the assassination. This bothers me more because it looks like another symptom of the disease of overclassification.)