Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Has there been a successful empty chair bit?

Has the empty chair bit ever worked? When I see this all I think is: "good for Chuck and Nancy." The empty chairs, to me, show that they are not putting up with Trump's ridiculous P.R. stunts, but I'm a partisan in that fight. I can't tell how it looks to others.

There is a long history of people using empty chairs to try to shame their political opponents. Maybe I am forgetting something but I can't think of any time that the stunt has worked and sometimes it has reflected badly on the one talking to the empty seat. The problem is that it is not just a stunt, it's obviously a stunt.

Was there some original empty chair stunt, when it was so new it didn't look like a stunt, that actually helped the person presenting the press with the empty chair?