Sunday, February 11, 2018

DST 4 Evah

I think I’m the only person who likes switching the clocks twice a year, but no matter what my preference, I am now fairly certain that the practice will end in the U.S. within my lifetime. Internationally the writing is on the wall and the benefits originally cited for instituting daylight savings time a hundred years ago have never come to pass, or at least any benefits seen  to be overwhelmed by the negative costs of switching the time on people every 4-8 months.

I’m not sure whether the eventual abolition of ST/DST will mean we stop going to daylight savings time or if it will mean sticking with daylight savings time all year (effectively moving Americans one time zone to the East). But I think the switching is going to go. Nothing this unpopular without a clear overall benefit is sustainable.