Monday, August 27, 2018

ketchup

I'm back from the great Northwest and (predictably) I am completely underwater with virtually everything I need to deal with back here. I'm sure it will get better relatively soon, but things might remain a little slow here, unless they aren't (sometime when I am very busy posting increases just because so does the urge to procrastinate).

And that's on the heels of a solid 9 days of blog-neglect. Luckily nothing happened while I was in a series of places that sometimes lacked wifi and often lacked a cellular signal. At least I wasn't around for all the McCain hagiography... wait, it's still going on! I'm guessing it will for the rest of the week. Anyway, the best thing I read about the legacy of McCain is this post by Erik Loomis. Read the whole thing. I don't think that anyone else did quite as good a job of honestly assessing McCain's legacy without a lazy reliance on his barely-ever deserved "maverick" reputation. I think the two reasons that McCain is so loved by people who would have hated anyone else with the same voting record are: (1) the somewhat inexplicable almost two-decades long love affair between the American political media establishment and John McCain, and (2) because he was only 98% awful and the current crop of Republican politicians has set an unbelievably low bar for admirable behavior.

See? That proves I did not miss my chance to comment on the McCain nonsense.