Monday, September 17, 2018

Not gonna work this time

I could very well be wrong1 but my sense is that a Russian (or anyone's) social media disinformation campaign can be very effective at moving a vote by a couple of percentage points, but it is not much better than that. In other words, the campaign can only work if the vote is already pretty close. Internet trolls are not going to turn a comfortable victory into a defeat. But they may be able to push a populace that is sitting around the middle of the fence to fall on one side or the other.

I can't find any recent polls, but this one from February showed that Macedonians support the name change proposal 61-33. Unless things have completely changed in the past 7 months, I doubt the Russians will get their way in this vote.

-----------------------------
1- Yeah, I know I could start every post with those words.