Tuesday, November 13, 2018

It Begins

I realize we are already SIX DAYS into the 2020 presidential election season and I haven't even mentioned it yet. Shame on me. But today is the day. After reading this article, I thought it would be fun to rank my order of preference of the people listed in this poll as of this moment so in a year I can look back and marvel at what an idiot I was.

I should note that I am not on team-anyone at this point. I am forcing myself to rank the candidates, so the #1 on the list is not "my candidate" in any sense because I don't have a candidate yet. Also, I only have strong feelings about a handful, and I know almost nothing about a few names on the list. I'm still going to rank everyone, but the rankings are subject to change (and they surely will). Some of the people on this list I like, I just don't think they should be the Democratic nominee for president in 2020. The ones with the asterisk are the ones that I don't know very much about (and they are all clustered together, really as one big 4-way tie because I don't even know enough to rank them against each other). But most of the ones without an asterisk I need to learn more about too, as I'm sure I will if they actually run. Finally, I am only including the people listed in the Politico article. There will be others who throw their hat in the ring who aren't on the list, and there are some people who have some "s/he's running" chatter who are not on the list (e.g. Clinton), so they are not in my rankings.
  1. A. Klobuchar
  2. C. Booker
  3. K. Gillibrand
  4. D. Patrick
  5. S. Brown
  6. E. Warren
  7. B. O'Rourke
  8. K. Harris
  9. J. Castro
  10. E. Garcetti
  11. E. Holder
  12. G. Newsome*
  13. S. Bullock (Steve not Sandra)*
  14. H. Shultz*
  15. J. Delaney*
  16. B. Sanders
  17. J. Biden
  18. A. Cuomo
  19. M,. Bloomberg
  20. M. Avenetti
Looking at the list, I see that my top five are pretty interchangeable (if you asked me to do this list again in a few hours, those five could be in any order). I basically have three tiers, with #1-5 in my top tier. #6-11 in the second tier, and #16-20 in the bottom tier (people I do not want to run). The little knowns (#12-15) could be reassigned to anywhere on the list if I ever find out enough to form a real opinion.