Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Spitballing another list of Democratic Presidential candidates

It has been a few months since I last ranked my order of preference for the various possible Democratic candidates for President. Back when I did it before, it was just speculation over who would run, but as of Sanders' announcement this morning, we have 12 people who have either officially declared or have formed an exploratory committee (taken from this site).

This is how I would rank them if I had to. Note I'm not committed to anyone (although I am somewhat committed to not-Bernie and not-Tulsi). These rankings could change, and almost certainly will. Hell, it might even change if you asked me again 10 minutes from now. I am far from decided at this point. The asterisk means I really don't know enough about the candidate to hold an opinion.

1. Elizabeth Warren
2. Kamala Harris
3. Kirsten Gillibrand
4. Peter Buttegieg
5. Amy Klobuchar
6. Cory Booker
7. Julian Castro
8. John Delaney*
9. Marianne Williamson*
10. Andrew Yang*
11. Bernie Sanders
12. Tulsi Gabbard

It is interesting to see how this list compares to the one I did in mid-November (which I did not look at until after I typed the above). Warren and Harris both improved considerably (back in November, they both were just in my second tier and now they top the list). Three of the next four were in my top five last time. Delaney has an asterisk in both lists. So I guess I haven't learned anything about that guy in the last four months.