Wednesday, October 02, 2019

The only outcome I can clearly imagine

I must admit I am having a hard time imagining how the Trump presidency will end. I mean, maybe I'm an optimist, but I have a hard time seeing him winning next year's election no matter who is the Democratic nominee.1

I have a hard time imagining Trump accepting his defeat or voluntarily leaving office.

I also have a hard time imagining the powers-that-be letting this trainwreck stay in office past January 20, 2021. Yeah I know the governing power structure has been warped almost beyond recognition by Trump's presidency. But I still have a hard time imagining them actually ending American democracy to keep this guy who even for a conservative has some pretty clear minuses.

But I have a hard time imagining the powers that be forcibly removing Trump from the White House. I mean, when I imagine it it turns into an unrealistic movie scene in my head.

The only scenario for the end of the Trump presidency that I can imagine that doesn't seem unrealistic is Trump dying or stroking out while in office. The guy has a terrible diet, doesn't exercise, and is in an extremely high stress job (even when he isn't doing his job and is watching Fox News instead, that show is just going to raise his blood pressure). I still think there is a fair chance that Trump doesn't make it to the end of his term because of some health crisis.


--------------------------------------------------------------------
1- The only one who makes me nervous is Biden, ironically the one who popular wisdom holds is the most electable. Popular wisdom does not seem to account for Biden as a 79 year old presidential candidate as opposed to the nostalgia-soaked memory of 68 year old Biden running as Obama's VP.