Thursday, June 24, 2021

If Louis DeJoy Gets His Way There Will Be All Kinds of Consequences

 
For decades the running assumption in a variety of areas has been that a regular domestic letter will take no more than 3 days to reach anywhere in the U.S. If DeJoy's plan goes through does anyone know all of the things that would have to be changed to accommodated a longer/slower mail delivery time?

Just off the top of my head I can think of a handful of laws or legal rules that would have to be changed and I just know my own narrow field.

When a party may or must act within a specified time after being served and service is made under Rule 5(b)(2)(C) (mail), (D) (leaving with the clerk), or (F) (other means consented to), 3 days are added after the period would otherwise expire under Rule 6(a).

I actually once had a case in which a key issue was how the 3 day extension for mailing a document rule would apply to a particular deadline.