Monday, February 07, 2022

Comments are always open

For some reason the comment link is not always appearing at the end of my posts. You can always comment to anything I write. I never turn off comments to any post. There's just some quirk in the interaction of Disqus and Blogger which has been plaguing this site for years. But it seems to be getting worse now. Years ago I tried to solve it by talking with Disqus and Blogger support. But each company pointed to the other about the problem and I eventually concluded that I needed someone who knows what they are doing to go through the code for this blog to make it work. That someone is not me, nor (apparently) do I have the follow-through to go out and hire someone who might be able to do it. Also there's that ongoing question of just how much money I am willing to pour into this blog, especially now that the blogosphere is effectively dead and its really just a lingering habit/vanity project.

Okay it has always been a vanity project.

But I digress.

The point (yes I had one) of this post is to tell all my readers (i.e. both of you) that you can still leave a comment to a post when the comment link doesn't appear by clicking on the time stamp at the bottom of the post. You know, the time stamp? It's that thing at the bottom of every post that (inaccurately) gives the time I wrote the post. In this post it is the link that says "7:51 a.m." Click on that time sample and you will get to the comment field where you can tell me I'm full of shit.

I guess I could edit what the time stamp says, making say something like "click here to comment" instead of the time. But if I did that I wouldn't have a time stamp. On the other hand, do I need a time stamp? Comments seem like a more important part of this blog. At least to me. And it's my vanity project goddammit.

UPDATE: Of course, now the comment link is back. So it looks like I was making a big deal about nothing. You know, unlike everything else I ever post here. In any case, print out this post and keep it in your pocket for the inevitable future when the comment link disappears again so you'll know to use the time stamp to reach the comment field. Or just remember. I guess that could work too.