Monday, April 04, 2022

The real problem with Truth Social

Trump's new social media app, Truth Social, is failing  Downloads from the app store are down, engagement stats are low, and people are complaining online about how the app doesn't work.

But maybe that's not the only problem. On February 24, 2022, I downloaded the app and tried to create an account using my Russian email address. (I have a free email account with @mail.ru that I use to register on rightwing sites) After I "verified" the account, I got a notice that I was wait-listed for the service.


(I love how it assures me that that "you're not just another number to us" and then it gives me a number)

Two weeks later, I got an email with an "update" that didn't really tell me much:

And that's it. It's almost a month later and as far as I can tell I haven't moved on the waiting list at all. If the service is really shedding users, surely they have room to let me in!