Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Explain exactly what we are supposed to be afraid of

I wish people who claim that House Democrats should not release Trump's tax returns because it will cause Republicans to retaliate (people like Kevin Drum) would play through the retaliation scenario so I can see exactly what the retaliation would look like.

Like what if the new GOP House releases Biden's tax returns? He already has.

What if they go after prominent Democrats like Chuck Schumer and release his tax returns? Senator Schumer's tax returns are posted on his web site.

There are some prominent Democrats who have not released their tax returns. For example, I think (but I am not positive) that Nancy Pelosi has not released hers. (Ten years ago she declined to release them). But would it be a bad thing if a Republican-controlled House got them from the IRS and released them to the public? I don't think so. What exactly is the harm?

Plus if they forced the release of Pelosi's, wouldn't that just put a spotlight on every Republican Congressperson who hasn't released his or her tax returns? I'd like to see where George Santos gets his money from! (Assuming he is ever seated as a Congressman)

Sure it would be better if Congress passed a law requiring anyone running for President, Vice President, or Congress to publicize their tax returns. But if I favor such a law, why would I have a problem with GOPers trying to retaliate against the release of Trump's returns and releasing the returns that I think should have already been made public?