Saturday, February 26, 2005

why middle of the night posts should be avoided at all costs

so i've been sitting here doing arabic flash cards. i'm starting a new chapter in my text book with my tutor which means i have a new list of words i have to memorize. this stuff doesn't come easy to me.

so one of my vocabulary words is هام ("hamm"), which means "important." to help me remember it, i thought of mark hamm, occasional commentator here and father of nathan hamm of the argus. it's easiest to remember this stuff if i can relate it to something, so mark is now deemed my most important commentator. and it worked great, i will never forget that one.

so then i got to thinking, what if each person who regularly comments here changed their name to some word on my vocabulary list. if they did that, i thought, i'd have this while list down in no time! and it would also prove that this blog is actually good for something.

so then i spent an embarrassing amount of time going through my list and trying to decide who was most like each word, which itself raised a host of related issues (e.g. who is most like the verb "to bathe"? should it be for someone who i imagine as really clean? or someone who i think needs a bath?) i won't tell you who got what, but after a while i decided that the whole idea is stupid. besides it's late and these freakin badgers are driving me crazy (did i mention this has been running on another window of my browser for the last hour? it's still on now. why do i crave mushrooms?)

i think maybe it's time to go to sleep