Thursday, August 18, 2005

head banging

what a long frustrating day. days, actually.

since tuesday morning, i basically stopped being a lawyer and worked instead as a rather lousy computer technician. i learned a lot--mostly about how to fuck up windows xp. but at least now i know what not to do. my desk is littered with articles with titles that begin with "How to..." (e.g. "How to Add a Slave Drive" and "How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows") instead of the usual print-outs with titles like X v. Y. things should almost be back to normal by tomorrow, my computer is basically recovered now--minus virtually everything i have done in the past 3 months; which is why i feel like i've spent the day banging my head against a pile of concrete blocks.

anyway, it's basically over now even though the damage is not all undone. the bottom line is that i have reached the limits of my abilities. there's one last chance of getting some of my data back but (thankfully) it is also completely out of my hands. why are computer problems the most frustrating thing in the world? it will be nice to be a lawyer again when i come to work tomorrow...