Tuesday, October 23, 2007

no hassle

the people in the markets of tourist towns like aswan and luxor are really aggressive. any foreigner who passes by gets swarmed by shopkeepers insisting that they come and look in their shop. a lot of visitors understandably get really turned off by the markets. but there are a handful of shops i've seen with signs saying "no hassle" hanging in the window. it's interesting that not harassing people can be a selling point.

then again, i'm not sure all the shopkeepers have completely gotten the "no hassle" thing. once when i walked by a "no hassle" shop the other day the owner ran out to tell me it was a "no hassle" shop (in case i didn't see the sign). when i kept walking, he grabbed my arm and tried to pull me in, i yanked my arm free and kept walking. the guy followed me for almost a half block, yelling "no hassle! no hassle!" at me the whole way.