Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Follow-ups

Farrah Halime's consideration of whether Mohamed Morsi should resign seems like a nice follow-up to my thoughts from yesterday. She makes a convincing case for a middle ground.

As for my other thoughts from yesterday, I think today's Snowden news pretty much puts them to bed. I guess he isn't going to be snatched up by Russia after all.

And longtime readers of this  blog (yes, both of you) should listen to this week's This American Life. Actually, shorttime readers and non-readers should too. The episode is about Kirk Johnson's efforts to get U.S. visas for Iraqis who worked for the U.S. and then had their lives threatened because of it.Kirk became a blog friend after I linked to his (now long defunct) blog and he gave me some tips about studying Arabic. For a little while, he was a fairly regular presence on this site. Then he got involved in The List Project and I did a little bit to try to promote that, but not really enough to make much of a difference. I don't think he reads this site anymore and, although we are Facebook friends, I have not been in touch with him for a while. But I remain an admirer of what he has done. The TAL piece is an overview of his whole "The List" effort. You should listen to it.