Sunday, October 13, 2013

Next up in real world consequences of fake crises

Early in the shutdown, I noticed that the federal courts that I have cases in were still open. After looking into it, I found that the courts had enough money (from revenue sources that do not have to be authorized by Congress, like filing fees) to stay open, provided that the shutdown didn't last longer than ten business days. The first day of the shutdown was Tuesday, October 1st. The tenth business days after that is (not counting Columbus Day on October 14th) Tuesday, October 15th. Which means that the federal courts might not open on October 16th. I assume that criminal matters will be deemed essential, because of the right to a speedy trial under the 6th Amendment. But all that civil stuff won't be.

When this first started, I figured there would be a fair chance that the matter would be resolved before the 16th. But now it looks like it won't be. So how fucked up will things get if all federal civil litigation, cases that involve multi-million dollar business deals, every pending bankruptcy, etc., comes screeching to a halt?

Also, did I mention that I have a federal court hearing scheduled for the morning of the 17th? I think I just did.