Monday, January 06, 2014

Chocolution 1: Theo Chili Dark Bar

One of my new year's resolutions this year is to try a difference fancy chocolate bar every week. This is kind of a follow-up to my 2011 Resolution to become a chocolate snob. I have spent the last few months compiling a list of chocolates that I will try, although "try" is the wrong word because several of them I have tried before. I am going to try to limit my weekly samples to basic bars of  dark chocolate, without any additives. But I probably will break that rule as much as I follow it because quite a few that I want to try don't seem to be sold as a plain dark bar. I'm also breaking it this week (see below)

This will be the exception to my annual caffeine free month. So whenever I go caffeine-free in 2014, I can still continue with my weekly chocolate tasting. I'm not sure if that will end up ruining the caffeine-free month thing, but I'm just trying it for this year. If I don't like how it affects the decaffeination, I can always switch back for 2015.



I never got around to ordering anything special for the first week of my Chocolution year. But luckily, I have two bars left over my sister's birthday/Thanksgivikkah gift. So the inaugural Chocolution bar is the Theo Dark Chocolate Bar with Chili peppers. The chocolate is a bit bitter, but I think that complements the chili powder well. It's not very sweet, which is good. Also not all that spicy, which is less good. I mean, if I'm going to have chili powder laced chocolate, I want my mouth to feel it a bit more. But overall, it works well. A nice treat as my area gets hammered by the arctic vortex.