Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Resolution 2015

Since I fancy myself an expert at New Year's Resolutions, and because I just subjected all my readers (yes, both of you) to an entire year of self-indulgent chocolate tasting posts for my 2014 resolution, I am hereby announcing my New Year's Resolutions for 2015:

(A) I am reviving my New Year's Resolution from 1989. Specifically:
  1. To any non-family member who is an actual human being (not a corporation or business) who sends me a real (non-form) letter through the postal system, I will send a hand written or hand typed response through the postal system to be mailed no later than two (2) mail days from the date I receive such letter. "Letter" will include anything that is sent through the U.S. or any other country's national postal service, including postcards and packages, provided the package or postcard includes some actual message or note, and not just a form message or note. A "mail day" will mean a day that normal mail delivery service applies. Thus, Sundays and federal holidays do not count as part of the two days if I am in the U.S.
  2. This resolution will expire at the end of 2015, subject to renewal at my exclusive discretion at the end of 2015.
  3. I am thinking of also writing "S.W.A.C." on every response I write for this resolution just to see if anyone gets the reference.
(B) In 2015, I am going to finish every trilogy that I started in 2014. Specifically, I will read the last book of the Dire Earth Cycle, the last two books of the Silo series, the last two books of the MaddAddam trilogy, the last book of the Magicians trilogy, and I will reread the last two books of the original Foundation Trilogy (because I just reread the first one). The actual rules of this resolution (because a resolution must have rules, that is what makes it process-oriented) will be as follows:
  1. Every third book I read in 2015 will be one of the unread books from one of the uncompleted trilogies listed above. In other words, I will not read any more than two (2) non-trilogy completing books between trilogy completing books.
  2. The first book I start reading in 2015 will be one of the unread books from the above listed trilogies. That is, once I finish my current book (this one, in case you are curious), I will read one of them next.
  3. If by June 30, 2015, I have not completed four of the eight books I need to read for this resolution, #1 will be amended so that every other book I read will be one of the trilogy completing books.
I am also going to try to get through 2015 without reading the beginning of a bunch of trilogies and then not finishing them.