Monday, June 08, 2015

Straw polls are not real polls

At least they are not scientific polls. Which means they are pretty much meaningless. Stop reporting straw poll results as if they have any significance!

Look, I would be all for a Bernie Sanders surge in the polls. Even if he ultimately won't be the nominee, it would be good for the Democratic party (by bringing Bernie's issues into the campaign) and even good for Clinton as a candidate. But a straw poll in Wisconsin which had a strong Sanders showing is not any real evidence for a Sanders surge. This is no more accurate than if I ask the people in my office what they think and tell the media that the Noz straw poll shows overwhelming Martin O'Malley support would do anything to predict how O'Malley will do in the Pennsylvania primary next year.

P.S. Yeah, I know it is Politico so what did I expect and blah blah blah. But Politico isn't the only news source that pretends straw polls are meaningful. e.g.

(via Memeorandum)