Tuesday, July 07, 2015

ISIS it is

If the group suddenly rose to prominence now, Daesh would be the best name for the group. It's a unique name, it makes a nice word play in Arabic. But the group has been in the news for the past year and American news organizations have not used Daesh very often. So I think it's too late for Daesh.

Among the names that are used in the American press (ISIS, ISIL or the Islamic State), I prefer ISIS. It's easier to say than "the Islamic State", abbreviating "Islamic State" as "IS" would cause endless confusion as those are the same letters that make one of the most common verbs in the English language.

ISIS is better than ISIL because it gives me an excuse to post pictures and video from a beloved show from my youth.



Q.E.D.

(I also like how ISIS is Sisi backwards. Surely there is some way for me to use that at some point. I haven't figured it out yet, but I will!)