Thursday, February 02, 2017

Johnson Amendment

I like the Johnson Amendment and think it should remain the law. But I wonder if Trump's promise to repeal it might backfire. The right has this strange view that they have a monopoly on the god business, that religious voters are necessarily Republican voters. That just is not true in my experience.

Putting aside the fact that religious non-Christians vote pretty heavily for Democrats, there are a lot of progressive Christian groups and churches, not to mention all the black churches whose congregation heavily supports Democrats.

I support the Johnson Amendment because I don't want my tax dollars supporting political advocacy via the tax exemptions enjoyed by religious organizations. My support isn't out of some political calculation that the Amendment favors my side over the other side. I have no idea which side it supports. I'm not even sure whether the Amendment is in place or not would make any real difference in an election.