Thursday, February 16, 2017

What a fucking idiot

Q: Thank you very much. Mr. President, in your vision for the new Middle East peace, are you ready to give up the notion of two-state solution that was adopted by previous administration? And will you be willing to hear different ideas from the Prime Minister, as some of his partners are asking him to do, for example, annexation of parts of the West Bank and unrestricted settlement constructions? And one more question: Are you going to fulfill your promise to move the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem? And if so, when?
And, Mr. Prime Minister, did you come here tonight to tell the President that you’re backing off the two-state solution?
Thank you.
PRESIDENT TRUMP: So I’m looking at two-state and one-state, and I like the one that both parties like. (Laughter.) I’m very happy with the one that both parties like. I can live with either one.
I thought for a while the two-state looked like it may be the easier of the two. But honestly, if Bibi and if the Palestinians — if Israel and the Palestinians are happy, I’m happy with the one they like the best.

Trump's entire vision for Middle East peace: One state, two state, red state, blue state.

ADDING: I think calling this "back[ing] away from a Palestinian state" gives Trump way too much credit. He doesn't have a coherent policy at all. I think his actual words (quoted above) make it clear that Trump has no idea what "two-state" or "one-state" mean. The man is a policy vacuum, which makes his extremist friends and advisers all the more dangerous.