Tuesday, June 18, 2019

June 2004 was a different world

One of the benefits of having a blog for this long is I have all these archives. (16 years as of this month!) Every once in a while I look back 10 or 15 years to see what I was obsessing about back then and it's like peering into another world. June 2004 was the height of the war on terra and the Iraq War. Fahrenheit 9/11 came out, Ronald Reagan died, dick Cheney said "fuck" on the Senate floor and everyone was aghast, I was invited to join a group blog called "Blogs for Bush Rebutted" (a response to another blog called "Blogs for Bush"--the rebutted blog still exists, but B4B has been taken over  by someone writing in Japanese). Actually, most of the links from my June 2004 posts are dead or go to the wrong place now. I was still not using caps (and I wouldn't on this site for another 9 years).

But my overall feeling when reading those entries from the days of yore is that I'm peering into a semi-alien world. I remember all that stuff but it is remarkable to see how much has changed since then. The big scary issues of those days are gone, replaced by completely new big scary issues today. (we're not worried about a big terrorist attack, just the end of American democracy). I guess it is just a reminder that all this crap will pass. Maybe I will read this in June 2034 when everything is different again.