Tuesday, December 15, 2009

true more-or-less transcript of the telephone conversation i had with my health insurance company this morning

me: "hi, i will be spending the next two months in kazakhstan and i'm calling to find out what kind of health coverage i will have when i'm there."

co. rep: "where are you going?"

me: "kazakhstan."

co. rep: "what state is that in?"

me: "no, it's not in the united states. kazakhstan is another country. i'm calling to find out what health coverage i would be eligible for when i am in kazakhstan, outside the united states."

co. rep: "oh, okay. hold on a minute."

[time passes on hold]

co. rep: "i need to clarify, what part of mexico will you be in?"

me: "what? mexico?"

co. rep: "when you're in mexico will it be a resort town, or somewhere else."

me: "did you connect to the right person? i'm asking about kazakhstan, not mexico."

co. rep: "right, that's what i said."

me: "i'm confused. what was your question?"

co. rep: "wait, are you going to mexico or not?"

me: "no, i'm going to kazakhstan"

co. rep: "can you spell that?"

me: "k-a-z-a-k-h-s-t-a-n"

co. rep: "please hold"

[more time passes on hold. then out of the blue she comes back]

co. rep: "yes, but only for emergencies."


--------
UPDATE: at drinking liberally tonight, mithras suggested that the co. rep. probably thought i was saying cozumel. which makes her apparent fixation with mexico seem a bit less random. i honestly never thought of that.