Thursday, January 14, 2010

rassling with the kaz internets

at the start of this trip i mentioned that whenever i try to access eschaton and bark bark, woof woof from this country i get an error message, which suggests to me that the sites might be blocked. initially i had no problems accessing my own blog. but then after posting a few days in aktobe i i started getting that same error message. i figured out how to evade the block (if indeed that is what it was), but it was cumbersome and tiresome. luckily, the block only applied to public computers at internet cafes. when i used my own laptop at a cafe with wifi, i had no trouble getting my site.

then we moved from aktobe to taraz. the blocks on atrios and mustang bobby remained, but whatever was preventing me from seeing my own site was no longer a problem. that is, until about two days ago. suddenly there's that error message again. i fell back on my old aktobe tricks to get around the block. and it worked, but was still a pain in the ass to do. and unfortunately, unlike aktobe, there do not appear to be any cafes with wifi in this town--so that workaround won't work. (my big discovery still hasn't produced a convenient place to camp out and type with the laptop).

but if it is a block, it is really erratic. i typed in the url for this place just now and the error message is gone. suddenly i can access my site and blog all i want. (atrios and mustang bobby still get the same error). i wonder how long this will last?