Saturday, October 10, 2015

Alabama just keeps alabamaing

Maybe the powers that be in Alabama already know this, but I suspect the fact that the state is widely viewed as a backwards racist hell-hole creates deters more investment and is more of a drag on the state's economy than any tax increase would be. So I wonder if shit like this, which reinforces the stereotype, is ultimately costing Alabama more than it is saving.

Back in the late 1990s, when Mrs. Noz was applying for academic jobs all over the place and we could have ended up almost anywhere, the only place I said I would not move was that bit of the deep South. Over the past twenty years, I have told that story to dozens of people, some who could have invested in Alabama if they wanted. Although not everyone would have made the same rule I did, not a single one has ever told me they did not know where I was coming from.