Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Still against Twitter

A very minor point that Paul Campos makes in his recent post is this:
Twitter in particular seems like a terrible medium for any kind of exchange of views. It’s apparently the cyber-equivalent of getting real drunk before getting into an argument.
I honestly don't understand why more people don't think that, especially in this age when the presumptive Republican nominee for president, a man whose campaign is based entirely on badly-thought-through zingers posing as policy proposals, which are often communicated by tweet.

A long time ago, I made that very point about Twitter. But despite the fact that I one wrote a whole post against Twitter, the service is still popular. And that is why I still refuse to set up a Twitter account for myself. Well, that and the fact that some yo-yo out there already took my preferred handle. He hasn't even twatted for more than three years ferchristssake! How could he/she do that to me?!?!?!?!

A-hem, anyway, that is why I have taken a principled stand against Twitter--at least as a way to write about politics.