Tuesday, May 02, 2017

87th time's a charm!

It's not clear to me why Congressional Republicans keep pushing extraordinarily cruel ACA repeal bills that have zero chance of ever passing. I know that the President and his party were stung by the when their first Trump-era attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare went down in flames. So I guess they want to make up for that. But the same problems that prevented their original replacement from ever being passed have been there in every subsequent alternative. They are not fixing what caused their original defeat, so all that they are doing is turning a single embarrassing loss into a string of embarrassing losses.

If the strategy won't work, why do they keep trying it? Is there anything at all that they are gaining by doing this over and over again?

(Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they repeatedly cast votes in a hopeless attempt to repeal the increasingly popular ACA, keeping in the headlines stories about the heartlessness of the modern Republican party while at the same time keeping them from doing any real damage to the country. I just don't understand why they want to do it.)