Monday, September 24, 2018

If the Kavanaugh nomination fails, it is because he is an entitled prick

Before the attempted rape allegation came out, I thought that Kavanaugh should have been rejected because of his perjury. But I think he could have easily navigated the Blasey Ford allegations if he had just said something like this:
When I was in high school, I went to parties and often drank too much. I have no memory of the incident that Dr. Blasey describes, and her story does not sound like something I would have done. But because of my drinking, there is a lot I do not remember from my high school years and I cannot say with any certainty that the incident did not happen. I sincerely apologize to Dr. Blasey for my behavior and any pain I have caused her at that time or in the years afterwards. Because I do not remember the events she describes, all I can say for sure is that is not who I am today and I am deeply embarrassed by even the chance that I could have done something so horrible when I was 17.
Instead, Kavanaugh, categorically denied the story, which made the issue about his credibility and character today. I don't think he has the humility or honesty in him to make the kind of statement I wrote above. But if he had gone that route, there would not have been any need to have Dr. Blasey testify, the vote would not have been delayed and he would already be sailing through to confirmation this morning. The new allegations that are coming out now, probably would have come too late to make a difference.