Tuesday, May 07, 2019

The posts that weren't

This happens to me fairly often. Sometimes I think I have some stunning point to make, then I start getting my links to support my point, only to discovery I am completely wrong after all. Other times just writing out a post will make it clear that my argument doesn't hold up, or I decide that, even if I am right, my point is dumb or pointless. For most of the history of this blog (as long as blogger has had that "save as draft" function) when I decide to abort a post I would not just delete it. Instead, I would save it as draft in case I change my mind about whether it is postable, or maybe because I wondered if some line or link in the unposted post might come in handy later. In the first almost decade of this blog, I accumulated more than a hundred saved but unpublished drafts. At one point I thought about making a 10th a blogiversary post about my decade of half-baked ideas. But instead, I just cleaned house and deleted all of them.

But old habits die hard. After I cleaned them out,.I went back to saving all my half written failed ideas as draft. so they have started to build up again, although I don't have nearly as many as I used to (I don't post as much as I used to either). I currently have 29 of those drafts. The oldest one was saved on July 19, 2013 and is titled "trapped." It refers to something that happened to me on that day, but I have no clue what it is. Clearly that's still a keeper.