Monday, February 05, 2024

Immigration

I have no idea what a fair and humane solution to deal with the high number of people showing up at the U.S.-Mexico border might be. But it seems like everything that I ever hear proposed is absolutely terrible. It's a really complicated problem, one that requires careful consideration and thought that, I fear, our political system is completely incapable of providing at the moment. So instead we have leaders trying to one-up each other to be the champion at mistreating foreigners and pushing policies which will almost certainly lead to increases in the number of undocumented people in the U.S., the very thing the people pushing these policies claim to hate.

So no, I don't think this Senate-White House deal is worth it at all. (I'm probably fine with the aid to Taiwan and Ukraine, although I really don't know enough details to say for sure, and I support the increase of immigration judges, giving work authorization to asylees, and increasing the number of skilled immigrants. The rest of it, at least the stuff that made it into Kevin Drum's summary, sucks). So does that mean it is good news that the radical rightwing cabal that controls the House is not going to let this pass because it doesn't require enough brutalization of migrants?

What I'm really afraid of is the administration's desire to get a big aid package to Ukraine and Israel will get Biden and the Democrats to compromise further from here, leaving us with an even worse immigration package that might pass. Luckily a not-insignificant portion of the House GOP will not pass any immigration bill, no matter what it says, as long as Biden is President. It's just odd to pin my hopes on a bunch of frothing racists.