Monday, April 15, 2024

Lighting Fast Post: unfounded speculation about what is up with Justice Thomas that I need to get posted before the Court updates on his status and turns out to be a nothingburger

  1. He's dead.
  2. He has some other really serious debilitating health crisis.
  3. He is just regular sick but is not in a condition that would allow him to participate remotely at the moment.
  4. He was struck with amnesia and is wandering D.C. not realizing he is a Justice of the Supreme Court as his clerks frantically search for him.
  5. Harlan Crow flew him off on a fancy junket to a place where he could not participate remotely (OTOH, what billionaire's getaway doesn't have decent wifi?)
  6. He's too busy plotting with Ginny to overthrow the government to be bothered by his actual job.
I'd say I'm 97.3% sure it is #3, but I can't say I'm positive!

UPDATE (4/16/24): Clarence is back! No explanation about what happened yesterday, but I think we can definitively rule out #1 and maybe #2 (because debilitating illness usually takes more than 24 hours to get over). All of the others are still on the table though!

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure we will never know what that was about.