Sunday, November 10, 2013

Conservative Catholics Aflutter because the Pope Doesn't Hate Atheist

Steve Skojec in today's NYT:
What kind of a Christian tells an atheist he has no intention to convert him? That alone should disturb Catholics everywhere.

What kind of Christian, Mr. Skojec asks? The non-dickhead kinds, that's who. I have been living openly as an atheist for decades now. Despite my regular contact with various Christians, including several who I count as friends, no one has tried to convert me for a very long time. (At least not in real life. There have been people online. But those who have tried are really bad at it. They treat me as if Christian theology has never occurred to me, despite living almost my entire life in an overwhelmingly Christian majority country).

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is that the world needs fewer assholes. If Mr. Skojec wants to subscribe to his religion, that is fine with me. I would just prefer that he didn't suck at it.