Wednesday, March 22, 2006

bush unplugged

making fun of the president when he--you know, speaks, is giving a speech, to people--when he's speaking with people, is like, well, it's kind of like kicking candy from a baby. but sometimes there comes a time, and that time is now, that i just, just can't resist.

some of my favorites from today's speech in wheeling, west virginia:
"My purpose is to share with you what's on my mind and then I look forward to hearing what's on yours. . . . I'm the commander in chief. I'm also the educator in chief. And I have a duty to explain how and why I make decisions, and that's part of the reason I'm here."
and the other reason is?
"There's an interesting debate in the world, is whether or not freedom is universal, see, whether or not -- you know, there's old Bush imposing his values. See, I believe freedom is universal. . . . The way I put it was, there is an almighty god. One of the greatest gifts of that almighty god is the desire for people to be free, is freedom."
which is it? the desire for freedom or freedom itself? wait... isn't that's the only thing we have to fear? or am i getting confused?
"I'm finding out what went wrong. In other words, one of the things you better make sure of when you're the president you're getting good intelligence."
maybe the voters should try to making sure of that too.
"Iraq is a part of the global war on terror. In other words, it's a global war."
no, that's the same words.
"Oops -- not through yet. A little early on the clap."
well, a little penicillin should clear that up.
"My buddies come from up from Texas. . . . And they come up from Texas and they're, kind of, looking at you, like, 'Man, are you OK?' Yes, you know. And I tell them, I say, you know, 'I can't tell you what an honor it is to do this job.' They often ask, 'What's the job description?' I say, 'Making decisions.' And I make a lot."
Job Description: President of the United States

1. making decisions

salary commensurate with experience.
"Just got to keep talking. Word of mouth, there's blogs, there's Internet, there's all kinds of ways to communicate, which is literally changing the way people are getting their information."
yeah, keep talking, george.
"First, I hope that your generation will lead -- no doubt, your generation will lead. Generations, when called, somehow find the courage to lead. That's step one. Two, I think you'll be dealing in a world in which you will be confronted with making values choices; for example, family -- understanding that the family is an important aspect of society. Secondly, the choice of life. You know, for example, you'll be confronted with a very difficult debate between science, on the one hand, and the hopes of science, and life. That debate is just beginning. In other words, 'Do you destroy life to save life?' for example, is one of the very difficult debates that your generation will be confronted with. . . . "
is it just me, or is this guy having trouble staying focused?
"Anyway, you'll be confronted with some stuff. Hopefully, our job is to make sure you're confronted with less issues, like being hooked on oil. One of the issues that we're confronting with now that I hope you'll not have to confront with is jobs going elsewhere because we don't have the math and science skills and engineering skills and physics skills that are taught to our children here."
to sum up: we'll be confronted with stuff. the president's job is to make us confronted with less stuff (like oil addiction), but we are already confronted with bad math and science causing jobs to go overseas, but (even though we are already confronted with it now), bush hopes we won't be confronted with it. so even if he isn't helping us much, he's at least wishing for the right things.

i feel much better now.