Sunday, June 27, 2010

kicking and screaming my way home

i left taraz yesterday. i have today to waste in almaty before i head to the airport at 1 am tonight to make my return to the u.s.

it's a strange day for me. i've written before about that wistful feelings i always get on the last day of my trips abroad. but this is no ordinary trip, and wistful is not a strong enough word.

i've spend the last few months dreaming about getting the fuck out of taraz. and now i am, and all i want to do is go back. i've left the two people i love most in the world behind there, one of whom i won't see for at least a month and the other i may never see again.

i'm looking forward to returning to some semblance of a normal life back in the states. i'll probably throw myself into it, just to stop myself from thinking about this place too much. after six months of long empty days, with 22 hours of nothing to do, i wonder if i will remember how to step back into that other lifestyle.